Dr. Alexander has special interest in complex obstetrics- Management of “High Risk” pregnancies, and extensive experience in vacuum extraction.
OBSTETRICS SERVICES INCLUDE
- Pre-pregnancy assessment and counselling
- Repeated early pregnancy loss (Recurrent miscarriage)
- Early pregnancy genetic counselling
- Pregnancy management, antenatal care and confinement
- Low risk pregnancy with the expectation of normal uncomplicated birth
- Pregnancy beyond 35 years of age
- High risk pregnancy care; multiple pregnancies
- Pregnancy complicated with high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia), or diabetes
- Women with pre-existing medical problems such as thyroid disease, autoimmune disorders, kidney disease, cardiac disease
- Operative obstetrics, caesarean section
- Antenatal consultations
Antenatal visits are an important part of your pregnancy management and have been shown to have a beneficial effect on pregnancy outcome. The normal visits are monthly until 28 weeks, fortnightly until 36 weeks and then weekly until delivery.
A scan is routinely performed at your first visit. In selected circumstances and when the need arises, late pregnancy ultrasound scans to assess the well-being of your baby can be performed also.
If you elect to have a “Nuchal Translucency” scan at 11-14 weeks gestation to assess Down’s Syndrome risk, you will be referred outside the practice to a dedicated obstetric ultrasound centre. You will be similarly referred for your routine “Morphology” scan at 18-20 weeks.
ANTENATAL FETAL CTG MONITORING
Fetal CTG monitoring is used as a routine measure in higher risk pregnancies to regularly check the health of the baby. CTGmonitoring is also sometimes needed during the third trimester for higher risk pregnancies. These will be organised by Dr Alexander to be performed at the Pregnancy assessment unit at the Mater Hospital.
LABOUR AND DELIVERY MANAGEMENT
As obstetricians we are trained to act in the best interests of both mother and baby to achieve healthy outcomes.
Dr Alexander has the level of skills you expect and is very experienced in both straightforward and complicated births. You can rest assured that Dr Alexander knows what to do and when to do it.
Additionally, as far as possible, Dr Alexander will accommodate your wishes for labour so that, as well as joy at the outcome, you may feel satisfaction with the steps that led you there.
A postnatal consultation is scheduled for 6 weeks following the birth of your baby. This provides an opportunity to discuss your health, both physical and emotional, since the birth. Your contraceptive needs will be addressed and, if due, a pap smear will be taken.
TELEPHONE ADVICE AND COUNSELLING
During office hours, telephone enquiries regarding matters related to your pregnancy, whether they may seem major or minor, are all happily received by Dr Alexander. if not available arrangements will be made for Dr Alexander to call you back as soon as possible.
Breastfeeding is natural but challenges and obstacles are frequent. Experienced and proven lactation support is available at the Mater Mothers’ Hospital. Highly skilled midwives with lactation experience are available for one-on-one support.
Nutrition consultations are available by Practising Dietitian with a special interest in antenatal nutrition.
Individual consultations can assist with the following:
- Weight management during pregnancy
- Symptom management
- Gestational diabetes
- Vegetarian eating
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Diet during breastfeeding
- Returning to pre-pregnancy weight
- Consultations are claimable through private insurance.
Physiotherapy service specializing in the unique requirements of pregnancy and postnatal conditions can be easily organised at Taylor Medical Centre.
Pre and Postnatal Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy can assist women experiencing any of the following problems:
- Low Back Pain
- Pelvic Pain (SIJ & Pubic Symphysis)
- Neck Pain
- Thoracic and Rib Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Symptoms
- Abdominal Muscle Separation (Rectus Diastasis)
- Bladder or Bowel Problems